The laws surrounding highway traffic accidents in California can be confusing and overwhelming, especially if you’ve been involved in an accident. Please keep the following in mind:
- The first person to contact law enforcement is required to stay on the scene and provide assistance without receiving a penalty for doing so. This doesn’t apply to drivers who have not been involved in an accident because they are not obligated to remain at the scene of any properly-conducted emergency vehicle stop or traffic stop.
- Every person injured in an accident must be transported to a nearby medical facility, regardless of the extent of the injuries. Moving everyone to one particular location is easier for emergency responders and can help lead to a more coordinated response involving more than one agency.
- A vehicle driver is required by law to remain at the scene until every occupant has been removed from their vehicle unless they cannot remain on scene due to injury or traffic conditions.
- A motorist involved in an accident must provide verbal information to all other drivers involved, including the following: name, address and driver’s license number; name and address of their insurance company; the name of any passengers in their vehicle; and if they do not have insurance, telling the other driver how to report and file a claim.
- A motorist involved in an accident must provide information about the damage sustained to both property (including vehicles) and other people.
When should you hire a California auto accident lawyer?
There are many reasons to hire a car accident lawyer after you have been in an accident that you believe is not your fault.
This includes the fact that California law requires drivers to take full responsibility for their own actions and injuries, as well as the fact that insurance companies are known for giving out unfair settlements and awards.
- You should also hire a car accident lawyer if you want to try and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company, or if you are looking for legal protection against future retaliation from the other driver.
California auto accident lawyer can be very useful if you have been involved in an accident. They have a great deal of experience and knowledge, and they know the ins and outs of the legal system.
- Another good reason to hire a California auto accident lawyer is that they can handle all kinds of cases on your behalf. These might include personal injury cases, wrongful death cases, uninsured motorist cases, and property damage cases.
The best thing you can do is hire a California auto accident lawyer who is experienced with these kinds of cases, and who has a great deal of experience when it comes to negotiating settlements out of court. This will make the process much easier for you, and will generally yield better results.
- You should also hire a car accident lawyer because they understand how to handle the insurance companies and what they are looking for. Insurance companies often want lofty settlements if they think that you were at fault in any way.
If you take the time to read through their settlement offers, you will soon notice that they do not always contain all of the information they are supposed to. In order to come up with a fair settlement, you need a car accident lawyer who can uncover all of the facts surrounding your accident. This will make it easier for you to negotiate a settlement that is more favorable for your case.
The circumstances surrounding every auto accident are unique. Many variables can contribute to the cause of these accidents, and many more can determine how they will affect California residents. The laws in this area are complicated, which is why anyone with legal issues should seriously consider contacting a lawyer as soon as possible.
Being involved in an auto accident is an emotionally difficult experience, and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the legal aspects of a car accident.
If you would like to get information regarding your legal rights and options, you may want to contact skilled California auto accident lawyers for advice on how to proceed.